Wednesday 24 September 2014

What's this about, then?

This is a blog about writing. More precisely it's about starting to write. I once heard someone say that to become a writer is rather easy, just start writing. It's not like you have to go to the university, where you have to learn to learn all sorts of complicated stuff, and at the end you get a degree that says 'writer'. So breaking into the field is in a way more easy than starting a career in molecular physics.

On the other hand, there are precious few ways to actually learn it. Everyone has heard of the J.K. Rowlings and other people, that come seemingly out of nowhere and write huge blockblusters. That's seldomely true, though. Look at Rowling's Wikipedia article, and you will find out that she's a learned woman, and that the first Potter book was actually her third attempt at a novel. There's also the little nugget about her writing in cafes because her flat was unheated. A rumour she took the time to debunk herself. And even then she was 45 when she struck gold. This is important because it emans she has had a lot of life experince, from which she could draw her stories. You won't get too far by reading how-to books.

Write what you know is another gem I've heard. It ties in with what I said above. You do not need to be a well rounded person, leading the life of a veritable James Bond Stand-in. But you should have something interesting to say, that makes people listen to you.You have to provide insights, things that makes your reader's time worth it.

So, it's easy to become a writer. I should clarify: It's hard to become a good writer, though. The first step is to start writing. Done.

The second step is to practice, to not stop writing. And it's important to have feedback, because that's the only way to see if you make progress. To get feedback is pretty easy this day and age.

But more to the point, it's what I'm doing here. I will give regular reports about my progress, but more interesting I will write about things here, and you get to see me improve and develope. That's the plan, at least.

I will concentrate on pop culture mostly, but I can see myself talking about politics, too.

This blog will in the beginning concern itself with the arthurian tales. All of them.

No, I'm joking. There are sources I won't be able to obtain, others I won't be even able to read. But I will try to get my hands on everything that doesn't fall in those two categories. I will read them, compare them and maybe one day write one myself. I find that body of works fascinating, it's a constant reimaging of a core story, through the ages by different artists. There is much to be leand about arcahelogy, and the world of our ancestoprs., which we tend to look down upon often.

And what a story it is...there is violence, there is love, betrayal...the whole gamut of human experiences, all of them forced upon the central character of those tales, Arthur. There is a certain melancholy, because the stories all end pretty much the same way...which I won't spoil now for those still new to them.

I don't know if anyone else has attempted this, but this is the internet, which means I guess so.
I also know that most certainly someone somewhere will have come to similar conclusion as me. But the fun we'll be in seeing those develope, thereby gaining an insight into the writing process.

So to be a good writer, you need to write. You need to practice to become good. There is also an interesting topic at hand, so I've got that down, too.

Here it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Everyone can comment, although I trust all of you to keep it civil. Since this is my playground, the final decision about everything written, including comments, lies with me. Have fun!